Thursday, January 28, 2010

The first step...

The weeks and weeks of slowly packing my life of possessions in boxes has finally come to end. I have somehow managed to condense my life for the next 8 months into a suitcase that weighs 23kgs (OK, it was more like 27kgs by the time I got to the airport!) And I have shoved, er I mean packed my other belongings into a storage unit.... A few days by the pool with the lovely James and Andy at their new Liz Bay des res, a touch of sunburn and the time for me to get on a plane and start my year of travel (technically 8 months). 







Day One: I have fallen even more in love with my iPhone the pics it takes are awesome, in this pic I can for the first time see the strong family resemblance between me and my sis Issy, I like it. I think the following photos will be the beginning of a series - planes that I have flown in and pics out of their windows. 




The first two were taken over Australia somewhere and the last one was just before out descent into Hong K0ng Airport.








Day Two: I am staying on the 26th floor of the Harbour Grand Hong Kong with a 'harbour view'. It was dark when I checked in last night so I couldn't fully appreciate it. This morning I decided to try and take a photo of the view, if you squint at the pic below you can see it (the smog clears around noon according to the nice man in the gym). So its smoggy, very smoggy and all I managed to capture was me in my PJs :)




I stepped in the lift to go down for breakfast and met Victor and Ron, two American guys based in Laguna Beach, California and Kevin their HK Chinese friend. We chatted and queued to be seated, I went off to my table and started eating my Pork Congee (thats savoury rice porridge to you, yumo.) And, they kinda collected me/invited me over to their table - very friendly. Victor owns this company called Gidget which produces everything from bikes to board shorts - very diverse - so of course I gave him my business card!


Next: I'm meeting my old buddy Tony in Sheung Wan for lunch and then a wander around Marks and Spencers - can't wait! I'm going to be a tourist for the next few days and start work on Tuesday...

1 comment:

  1. well its taken you all of 24 hours to settle in, meet some new people, possibly score some design work and become a congee-eating expat.. good work!!

    ReplyDelete